When Do We Collect Your Data?
We collect personal data about you whenever you book with us, travel with us, when you use our websites, or when you use our call centres. We also collect personal data when you book our freight or logistics services.
Why Do We Collect and How Do We Use the Personal Data?
Registration of the information is necessary to enter into an agreement (booking) with us and to give you service messages about the booking. In addition, Smyril Line is required by law to register the identity of our passengers and to give that information to relevant authorities.
Due to this, we will ask for name, gender, date of birth, passport number, address, e-mail address, vehicle registration number (if any). You may be asked to show your passport at the terminal to prove your identity. We ask for your email and telephone number so we can contact you quickly if there is any problem with your booking. If volunteered by a person, we will also collect any information concerning the need for special care or assistance in emergency situations.
In addition, we use the information we obtain in connection with bookings and purchases on board our ships to gather statistics that we use to improve our services. We may ask you to show your boarding card when you make an onboard purchase. This information is used for statistical purposes only. You have the right to decline to show your boarding card when shopping onboard. If you prefer that we do not use your reservation data in our statistics, please feel free to contact us and let us know.
When you pay online, you will be transferred to a secure webpage where you will add your payment card details.
All payments are processed by our trusted partner's platform and validated against the highest standards of securing and safeguarding of card data. We do not process or store any payment card information in Smyril Line. However, in case you have questions about the processing of your payment card details, please contact Smyril Line, and we will reach out to our payment partner.
Your personal data is also used if you have created a profile on one of Smyril Line’s websites. If you have created a profile with Smyril Line and given your consent, we will register your purchase to help us administer your profile, and use this information to target you with offers and products. The information is also used to recognise you when you book with us (assuming you are logged in) and to follow up on reservations. The information is also used for contests and statistics.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Data?
When you book with us, we use secure server software, which encrypts all of the information you enter before it is sent to us. This encryption ensures that the information is appropriately protected against unauthorised interception.
How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Data?
The personal data in the booking information will be kept for a period corresponding to the time where we can be met with claims.
If you register a personal profile or subscribe to the e-mail service, we will store your personal data until you delete the profile or unsubscribe from our newsletter. The information will make future bookings easier, as we have already saved your personal data.
To be sure we have updated information about our customers, we will encourage you to make necessary changes in your profile. If your profile has not been used or activated for 5 years, we will delete your personal data.
Subscription to the E-mail Service and Contests
When we offer you a subscription to our e-mail and marketing services, we will ask for your name and e-mail address so that we can send you our e-mail newsletter. Your name is not required to subscribe to our e-mail service, and you will be able to opt out at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the newsletter. When you enter a contest or take advantage of other promotional offers, we may ask for your name, address and e-mail address so we can administer contests and notify the winners.
Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer's hard drive. For further information visit, see our cookies policy (further down on the current page).
Will Smyril Line Disclose the Data to Third Parties?
Personal data will be shared internally within Smyril Line’s organisation, as we have the same booking system. We have internal policies and agreements in place to ensure an adequate level of protection irrespective of where in Smyril Line your data is located.
We will not transfer personally identifiable information about our visitors or customers to a third party, except in the following cases:
– Service providers and advisors that we use to provide certain services, such as hotels and activity providers. In such case, the suppliers will be individual data controllers;
– If we are legally required to do so;
– Smyril Line may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, traffic patterns, loyalty card memberships and related site information to third-party partners.
– In addition, Smyril Line may provide information about our customers to third parties who provide services or functions on our behalf, including payment card processing, business analytics, customer service, marketing, or distribution of surveys.
– We may also authorise third parties to collect information on our behalf, including if necessary to operate features of our website or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests.
– We may share your details with a third party who may actively follow up on incomplete bookings via email.
– If you have subscribed to one of our newsletters, your email address may be shared with Facebook for social media marketing campaigns.
– In the event we sell property or safety of Smyril Line, its employees and others, or in the event we sell or liquidate any part of business or assets;
– Any such sharing will be in compliance with data protection law, and only to trustworthy third parties.
We always strive to clearly inform you regarding the uses and possible disclosure of your information when such information is obtained. If it is not practical to do so at the point of collection, we will inform you as soon as possible, unless there is a legitimate basis for not doing so. For example, where it is necessary for the prevention or detection of a crime or where otherwise permitted by law.
Security and Safety Onboard
Following a thorough investigation, the names of undesirable passengers can be placed on an internal list to prevent these passengers from booking and travelling with us if the master of the vessel has reason to believe that the passengers will pose a security risk and in accordance with the terms and conditions applicable for the travel. Passengers are deemed to pose a security risk if they have endangered the safety of themselves, the vessel, the crew or other passengers, if their behaviour has been inappropriate during a previous trip or if they have failed to follow safety regulations or requirements. Smyril Line will register the necessary personal information of the banned passengers. This will prevent those passengers deemed a security risk from booking trips on our passenger ships for a defined period. The information will not be held for longer than necessary.
Below is a summary of your rights in the European Data Protection Regulation. The exercise of these rights is free of charge for you once a year and you can exercise the rights by sending an email or emailing the contact persons at the bottom of this document. You can also use the contact form found on our website.
Note that Smyril Line will always open a request to exercise the right to determine if the request is valid. All rights, listed below, are not absolute and exceptions may apply.
In addition to the rights set out below, you always have the right to file a complaint with a regulatory authority about Smyril Line’s processing of your personal information.
The right of access:
On request, you are entitled to receive a copy of your personal information at Smyril Line and for further information about Smyril Line’s processing of your personal information.
Right of rectification
You are entitled to have your personal information rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
Right to Erasure (the right to be forgotten)
You are entitled to request that Smyril Line deletes your personal information without undue delay in the following circumstances:
– if your personal data is no longer necessary to fulfill the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise treated;
– if a consent necessary for the treatment is withdrawn or if there is no legal basis for the treatment;
– if you have a valid reason to object to the processing of your personal information;
– if processing of personal data is illegal; or
– if the personal data must be deleted in order to comply with a legal obligation
The right to restrict processing
You have the right to request that the processing of your personal data is blocked or suppressed in the following circumstances:
– the accuracy of personal data is being investigated;
– the processing is illegal or if the information is no longer required to meet the purposes for which they were collected but you oppose the removal of your personal information and request a restriction instead of;
– Smyril Line does not any longer require your personal information, but you need the personal information to determine a legal claim or enforce it or defend it by court; or
– You have objected to the processing of personal data and such objection is being verified.
Right to transmit information (data portability)
Under certain circumstances, you are entitled to obtain the personal information you have given to Smyril Line to transfer them to another service provider if the processing of your personal information is based on your consent or performance of a contract.
General right to object
You have the general right to object to the processing of your personal information, based on Smyril Line's legitimate interests, at any time. If you object, we must prove that we have reasonable legitimate reasons for such treatment or that we need the personal information to determine a legal claim or defend or enforce it.
The right to object to the use of personal data for direct marketing
You are entitled at any time to object to the use of your personal information for direct marketing. If you do, Smyril Line will no longer process your personal information for such purposes.”
Do You Want More Information About Your Data?
You are always welcome to contact us regarding the data we have registered and request a description of the personal information we have collected and processed and the types of recipients – to whom Smyril Line will, or may, disclose that information.
You are also welcome to contact us if you would like us to correct, erase or block inaccurate information. Smyril Line always attempts to respond to valid requests as quickly as possible.
We kindly ask you to send any requests or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have signed up to receive our e-mail newsletter you can always unsubscribe via the link in the newsletter or by contacting Smyril Line on the above email address.
Address: Yviri við Strond 1, FO-100 Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
Tel.: +298 34 59 00
Who to Contact
If you prefer to contact your local call centre, you shall be more than welcome to do so. They will then assist you with your questions.